Very healthy Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cookies (gluten-free too). Guilt-free, great Thanksgiving dessert for big and small. Hubby-approved.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cookies
- ¾ cup (123 g) raw pumpkin seeds, divided
- 1 cup (114g) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons ground tapioca (or cornstarch)
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 TBSP (41g) coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup (50 g) coconut sugar
- 1 TBSP ground flax pre-mixed with 3 TBSP water*
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (115g) pumpkin puree, canned or baked
- In a small blender, grind ½ cup pumpkin seeds until they become a fine flour. Do the same to the tapioca.
- In a small skillet toast the ¼ cup pumpkin without any oil, until it pops and turns lightly brown. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl combine the pumpkin flour, almond flour, ground tapioca, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda, with a spatula.
- In a separate small bowl, with a mixer whisk the coconut oil, coconut sugar and flax* with water on medium speed, till the sugar dissolves.
- Add the vanilla and pumpkin puree and whisk well.
- Mix in the toasted pumpkin seeds.
- With the spatula, mix the wet and dry ingredients together just until they combined. Freeze the dough for 15 to 20 minutes, or 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Allow the cookies to cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving.
- You can store them in a jar for a week, if you need to. 😊
Notes & Ingredients
- If you prefer less spicy, use 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice. I made my own spice fresh.
- To make this recipe nut-free you can substitute the almond flour with more pumpkin flour.
- Substitute the ground flaxseed and 3 TBSP water with one egg, if you choose to eat egg.