Vegetarian Moussaka is a Greek classic full of flavor and textures. Diverse ingredients marry to create an unforgettable experience. So delicious!
Vegetarian Lentil - Eggplant Moussaka
Recipe developed by Diet Desires.
- 1 lb eggplant, with skin, sliced
- 3 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 5.3 oz red lentils*
- 1 tsp Vegeta, divided
- 2 ½ - 3 cups water, divided
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 garlics, minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 5 TBSP tomato puree
- ½ tsp dry thyme
- ½ tsp allspice, ground
- 4.4 oz low-fat cheese, Mozzarella or Cheddar
- 4.4 oz Greek yogurt, low-fat
- 3 eggs
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp allspice, ground
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1.8 oz parmesan, low-fat, grated
- Slice the eggplant 1 cm (small finger) thickness. Brush each side of the slices with 2 TBSP olive oil, sprinkle with salt and ground pepper. Bake them till slightly brown on 400 F for 20-25 min. Quarter them and set aside on a plate.
- In a small pot rinse and cook the red lentil* with ½ tsp Vegeta, 1 ¼ cups water for 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, about 1½ cup water, ½ tsp Vegeta, ½ tsp thyme and allspice each. Cook the mix for 5 minutes, then add to the tomato mix the quartered eggplants and the lentils.
- Simmer all for 7 minutes more, mixing well. If needed, add water, so it is bit runny all the time.
- To make the topping: In a medium bowl mix together grated cheese, yoghurt and eggs. Add spices, mix.
- Pour the topping over the eggplant mix into the Dutch oven.
- Bake for 20 min at 350 F, then sprinkle grated Parmesan on top. Bake further 10 minutes until top gets a bit of color.
- Let it cool for 10 min and serve. Can be refrigerated or frozen.
Notes & Ingredients
- You can use any green or brown lentils, but the require 1 cup more water, and 20 minutes longer cooking.
- You can also choose frying the eggplant slices both sides in a skillet over medium heat, till browned.