This cornbread tamale pie casserole recipe made with turkey, but I wrote notes with an easy swap for vegan ingredients. Lovely Tex-Mex recipe!
Cornbread Tamale Pie
Recipe developed by Diet Desires.
- 1 lb ground turkey, 83 % fat*
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained*
- 1 cup corn, drained, canned or frozen, thawed*
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Vegeta
- ½ TBSP chile powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg*
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and the chopped peppers over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the turkey and sauté it until it becomes brown.
- Add the beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, Vegeta, chili powder, cumin, ground pepper, and liquid smoke. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Grease a 3-Qt casserole dish with oil. Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, and baking powder. Whisk in the egg, milk and oil until combined.
- Top the meat mixture in the casserole dish with the corn bread topping, in a thin layer carefully.
- Bake until the corn bread is brown, 20 minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes, then serve it with a salad of your choice.
Notes & Ingredients
- I used a 83 % fat-containing turkey. The dish tastes better with a bit of fat.
- The recipe allows to use a whole 15 oz can of the beans and corn. The proportions aren't crucial.
- For a vegan version substitute the turkey with the same amount sliced mushrooms. Sauté them for 5 minutes to lose their water on ½ tsp oil.
- To substitute the one egg for vegans, use 1 TBSP flex with 3 TBSP water.