Tomatillo salsa verde is a classic Mexican dips that covers most diets: diabetic, low-cal, low-fat, low salt, plus it's an amazing sauce on everything!
Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Recipe developed by Diet Desires.
Serving: 0.5cup | Sodium: 207mg | Calcium: 10mg | Vitamin C: 9mg | Vitamin A: 242IU | Sugar: 3g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 183mg | Calories: 29 | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fat: 1g | Protein: 1g | Carbohydrates: 6g | Iron: 1mg
Hot and spicy dishes attract the not softhearted and adventurous traveler -like me and my husband. Hope you also like it! They can become a party pleaser for others who embrace fascinating flavor combinations at any heat level.
- 1 pound tomatillos, de-husked and halved
- 1 onion, medium white halved
- 3 chilies , serrano or Jalapeno with seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 TBSP vegeta, in 1 cup hot water, or 1 cup vegetable stock
- Remove the papery husks from the tomatillos and rinse to remove the sticky residue.
- Halve the tomatillos.
- Quarter the onion.
- Add all of the ingredients except the cilantro and salt to a large pot and just cover with water.
- Bring the water and ingredients to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend* the cooked ingredients and the fresh cilantro with the cooking water until smooth.
- Pour the blended salsa back into the pot.
- Add stock, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the salt and adjust if necessary.
- Serve with chips, or spice up your tacos, tortillas.
SHOP MY FAVORITE MUST-HAVES
Tried this recipe?Mention @DietDesires or tag #DietDesires!
You can find more about this amazing sauce here.