Pozole Verde with Chicken and Fresh Corn is the Mexican answer for hearty chicken soup. It is so fulfilling that one can serve it as a main dish. The grilled fresh corn is an American twist, as it's sometimes hard to find Mexican hominy (maíz pozolero), which would be dried and alkalized corn. So I substituted hominy with frozen or grilled fresh sweet corn. I hope you like it.
Pozole Verde with Chicken and Fresh Corn
Recipe developed by Diet Desires.
- 1 lb chicken leg or drumsticks
- 1 TBSP Vegeta , dissolved in 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups water
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked (or 2 cups frozen corn)
- 2 tomatillos, husked
- 1 poblano chile
- 1 jalapeño chile
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed, for more color
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , sliced
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems, plus more leaves for garnish
- ¼ cup packed parsley leaves and stems
- 1 TBSP lime juice
- Tortilla strips, Tostitos, for garnish (optional)
- Place chicken, the dissolved Vegeta and 3 cups water in a 6 Qt Dutch Oven Cook chicken for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime grill corn on a comal on top of gas stove flame, until golden brown in spots, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool, then cut kernels off. (If fresh corn is not available, use 2 cups frozen corn.) Set aside.
- On the same comal, grill slowly tomatillos, poblanos and jalapeño until well charred all over, 3 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer these vegetables into a paper bag and let cool 5 minutes.
- When chiles are cool enough to handle, remove skins, seeds and stems, and discard them. (If you don’t like spicy, make sure you remove every bit of seeds and stems!) Add peeled chiles and unpeeled tomatillos to a blender along with a pinch of salt.
- In a medium skillet over high heat, add oil. When hot but not smoking, add onions and cook, sautéing, until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic for 30 sec. Transfer all to the blender with tomatillos. Add half a cup soup. Purée the mixture. Taste and add more salt, if needed. It should be well seasoned.
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Place cilantro and parsley in a in the sink. Pour boiling water over herbs to wilt them, then immediately run cold water over them to cool them down. Press hard on herbs and squeeze to remove excess water. Transfer herbs to the blender with the veggies. Blend.
- When the chicken is cooked, stir the tomatillo and veggies purée into the soup and season with freshly squeezed lime juice and salt to taste.
- Stir in corn kernels and ½ cup frozen corn, thawed. Cook everything together, for 3-4 min.
- If you like, serve soup with Toasted Tortilla strips (tostitos).
Notes & Ingredients
SHOP MY FAVORITE MUST-HAVES
For more diet desire recipes, click here.