Stuffed Swiss Chard leaves - an icon of Hungary, originally from Transylvania. Also referred to as cabbage leaves. Gluten-free, lowcal, dairy free option. Don't miss my sister recipe Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Hungarian Töltött Káposzta)
Stuffed Swiss Chard Leaves (Töltike)
Recipe developed by Diet Desires.
- 1-2 bunch Swiss chard leaves, see notes
- 1 handful dill, chopped
- 1 tsp Summer Savory
- Hot pepper, optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 oz lemon juice , or 1 TBSP vinegar to taste
- Optional: Sour cream , to serve, omit for Vegan
- Cook bulgur: bring water to boil. Add bulgur, Vegeta and stir. Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 12 min. Let it cool.
- In the meantime, wash the leaves. Place them in a large plastic bag with a TBSP water. Close or tie the bag. Microwave content for about 1-1.5 minutes. Immediately rinse it in cold water, so it stays soft, and does not cook for further. Set aside.
- Cut off the stems and the thick veins at the widest part of the leaves. Set cut out parts aside.
- If your leaves are broken, use partial leaves to cover the holes.
- Take a small piece of meat mix with a tablespoon and fill up the leaves.
- Set aside stuffed rolls on a plate.
- Chop up the stems and veins about half an inch wide. Chop up any leftover leaves – but set 2 large leaves aside for the top.
- In a small saucepan, saute them in a small quantity of water, 5 minutes till they get soft.
- Add water till fully covered, then dill, summer savory, Vegeta, hot pepper, salt.
- Cook for 40 mins, then add lemon juice.
- Optional: Serve it with sour cream. Decorate top with fresh dill.
Notes & Ingredients
SHOP MY FAVORITE MUST-HAVES
For even more Swiss Chard recipes click here.
Be sure to check out more of Diet Desires recipes here.