This Homemade Wild Rice Mushroom soup recipe is full of vegetables to allow you to feel nourished along with wild rice to keep you feeling cozy and full.
Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
- 1 TBSP Vegeta, in 3 cups water, or 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup wild rice, uncooked
- 10 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 parsnip, sliced
- ½ lbs sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ TBSP Old Bay seasoning , or ¼ tsp chili pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil, for vegetarian you can use butter
- water, if needed more
- ½ cup almond milk, unsweetened, for vegetarian you can also use cream or sour cream
- 1 large handful of kale, roughly chopped, thick stems removed
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat 1 TBSP oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven* over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Add sliced carrots and parsnip and sauté it 2-3 min more.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add in the vegetable stock, wild rice, mushrooms, carrots, sweet potato, bay leaf, spices and Old Bay seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Continue cooking until the soup reaches boiling. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Finally add the almond milk and kale to the soup and stir gently until combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm. Or transfer to sealed container(s) and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Notes & Ingredients
SHOP MY FAVORITE MUST-HAVES
Be sure to check out more of Diet Desires recipes here. For even more vegetarian soup inspiration check out this link.