Carrot Hummus Appetizer
Recipe developed by Diet Desires.
- 4 oz pumpkin , or butternut squash
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp oil
- 15 oz chickpeas, canned
- 2 TBSP tahini
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Optional: a handful of fresh cilantros, chopped
- Optional: chili to taste
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 2 TBSP curly parsley , for decoration
- Peel and cut pumpkin into small cubes. Place them in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a plate. Cook pumpkin till soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the rest of the ingredients: rinse and drain the chickpeas and place them into a food processor. Add the tahini, cumin, lemon juice and minced garlic. Process for 30 seconds, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process another 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Leave puree in food processor and set aside.
- When the pumpkin is done, let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare the carrot: peel and slice it for about 5 mm wide. Snip about 12 short twigs of parsley for decoration. Set aside.
- Add the cooled pumpkin to the food processor. Process until smooth. Swirl in the optional cilantro.
- Spread the pumpkin-chickpea mix on a large plate evenly.
- Pin a toothpick through the parsley pieces, then into the carrot slices, sidewise. Then dip the carrots into the hummus.
- Serve it cold.