Easy Somlói Galuska is a no-cook version of the original Hungarian sponge cake. Boxed ladyfingers, instant pudding mimic the complex dessert.
Easy Somlói Galuska Sponge Cake
Recipe developed by Diet Desires.
- 2 oz raisins
- 100 ml boiling water
- ¼ tsp rum extract
- 1 box, 1 oz Instant Jell-O chocolate flavored, sugar-free pudding mix
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¾ cup cold water
- ¼ tsp rum extract
- 1 TBSP rum
- 18 piece Lady Fingers, 6 oz*, divided
- ½ cup ground walnut, 1.9 oz, divided
- ¼ cup apricot jam
- ½ TBSP cocoa powder
- 12 TBSP Chocolate Sauce, Sugar-Free*
- Soak the raisins: in a mug pour the boiling water over the raisins. Add ¼ tsp rum extract. Mix, cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare pudding (follow the manufacturer’s instructions): beat pudding mix and milk with whisk in a medium bowl for 2 minutes. Pudding will be soft-set in 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the rum sauce: in a small measuring cup mix together ¾ cup cold water, ¼ tsp rum extract and 1 TBSP rum. Set aside.
To Assemble Cake:
- Layer the first row of lady fingers in a rectangular dish. (You will make 3 layers.)
- With a tablespoon slowly sprinkle this first layer lady fingers with 1/3rd of the rum sauce, half of the chocolate custard, half of the rum-soaked raisins and 1/3rd of the ground walnut.
- Repeat this for another layer.
- The third (top) layer will be slightly different: first sprinkle this last ladyfinger layer with the remaining rum sauce. Spread the apricot jam over this top layer. (Soften the jam in the microwave for a short interval, if needed.) Sprinkle the remaining 1/3rd of the walnut over it, then the cocoa powder. Cover unsliced “cake” with the lid or plastic wrap (don’t worry about touching the top of the cake). Keep the cake in the fridge till serving. (The cake is better if it is prepared 2 days before serving, but can be served in four hours, if you must.)
To Whip Cream:
- Before serving, whip the cream, sweetener, and vanilla with an electric mixer, till it is firm. At this point you can pipe or spoon the whipped cream on each serving plate.
To Serve Cake
- Cut one-inch thick slices before serving. Each slice will serve 2 people. In a nice Martini glass, bowl or plate cut the half slices into half inch cubes and place them into each serving dish.
- Top the pieces with whipped cream. Splash 1 TBSP chocolate sauce on top.
- Cake can be store in fridge, or frozen.